Home of Rest for Old Horses
There are plenty of 'retired - now drawing pension' trammers resident at the Isle of Man Home of Rest for Old Horses, an independent charitable organisation.
You can support the retired trammers (and many other horses, ponies and donkeys) by visiting the home when open and making a kind donation to their upkeep, or by adopting one of them.
The Isle of Man Home of Rest for Old Horses came into being in 1950 when Mrs Mildred Royston and her sister, Miss Kermode, became dismayed at the number of perfectly fit, old working horses being shipped from the Island for a doubtful future. Of particular concern were the old tram horses.
From small beginnings, hard work, dedication and a lean income, the Home of Rest progressed until 1955 when a fortunate legacy provided the means to purchase 'Bulrhenny', a farm with 92 acres of pasture to the south of Douglas, where the home is now located.
The first ex-Tram Horse to retire to the Home of Rest was Molly, a 25yo mare who previously had also worked for a hawker and on a farm. She was followed by Daisy in 1953, Bunny in 1954 and then Jilver, Elsie, Audrey, Steve, Monte & John in 1955.
And so the numbers increased each year. Unlike today where retiring horses are offered without charge to the Home of Rest, for many years it had to buy the horses at public auction in competition.
Since 1950, more than 300 equines have found a happy 'retirement' from all walks of life. Today, the Home of Rest looks after more than 60 horses and donkeys.
It has 'first option' on taking in the tram horses as they retire.
Normally open to visitors on weekdays from May through to September, and at weekends throughout the year. But please check with the Isle of Man Home of Rest for Old Horses to confirm actual open days and times before planning your journey and setting out.
There is a lovely cafe, gift shop and large car park on site.
The Home of Rest is also accessible by public transport (Douglas - Port Erin/Port St Mary bus routes 1, 2, 11 & 12) with nearby request stops in both directions on Richmond Hill.